There is no absolute cure for hypothyroidism. You can go to the doctor and get a synthetic hormone replacement if your thyroid stops producing hormones completely, and there are medications the doctor can prescribe to try and boost the output of the thyroid, but there are no medications that can completely reverse the condition.
The 5 Hypothyroidism Diet Recommended Foods
There are some foods like cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, kale, broccoli, and turnips that seem to make the condition of hypothyroidism worse, and there are some foods that seem to improve the symptoms, or lessen the severity of the symptoms.
- Selenium Rich Foods such as Brazil nuts are a key factor to include when you have hypothyroidism.
- Iodine Rich Foods such as iodized salt, kelp, yogurt, eggs, cheeses, prunes, fresh parsley, fresh strawberries, and milk products. Sea foods are an excellent source of iodine. Dine on shrimp, crabs, and sea fish like flounder or sea bass.
- Protein Rich Foods that are low in fat like fish and chicken are excellent when you have an under active thyroid condition.
- Tyrosine Rich Foods like peanuts, whole grain brown rice and tuna fish.
- Vitamin B Rich Foods like whole wheat breads and whole grains. Eggs, dairy products and shellfish all help you to get your doses of B vitamins.
Foods that are Not recommended
While you are eating to improve your thyroid function remember that there are some foods that make the production of the thyroid slow down. These include fresh strawberries that are uncooked, raw cabbage, raw mustard greens, broccoli, spinach, kale, and Brussels sprouts. You do not have to completely stop eating these foods, but make certain they are cooked before you eat them, and try to reduce consumption to only once or twice a week.
General Hypothyroidism Rules
Hypothyroidism is often not detected until the person starts to gain weight, be intolerant of cold temperatures, and experience skin lesions like acne. You need to watch the number of calories you get each day from high fat foods so that you reduce some of the acne flare ups and you lessen the weight gain.
You need to limit the intake of carbohydrates each day so you will fell less hunger and will eat fewer calories. Carbohydrates are addictive foods like sugar and chips. The more you eat of them the more you want of them. This is because your body gets a quick energy rush from the carb and then it uses the energy up just as quickly.
You want to give your body a steady supply of energy that does not fire up and burn out in just a little bit of time. To do this feed yourself several small meals a day. When you eat carbohydrates make them complex carbohydrates that will stay with you longer. Choose whole wheat bread over white breads. Choose sweet potatoes over white potatoes. Eat brown rice instead of white rice, and choose low fat milks or skim milks.
You are going to feel tired, but you need to make yourself get plenty of exercise so that you do not gain an excessive amount of weight.