Hypothyroidism treatment is slightly different for each individual. The first thing you must do is be evaluated by medical professionals to determine if you have a thyroid condition, and which condition you suffer from.
The most common conditions of the thyroid are hypothyroidism, parathyroid, and hyperthyroid. These conditions can all be treated and they can all be improved upon by a proper diet and exercise regimen. It is up to you to take control and get your body back into a healthy state.
Hypothyroidism treatment diet and exercise tips for pregnant women
If you are pregnant then it is even more crucial that you use diet and exercise to help raise your thyroid production to a normal level. Your doctor will assist you in making the right food choices. You will be asked to not eat certain cruciferous vegetables raw while you are treating a thyroid condition. These vegetables include raw cabbage like you would eat in Cole-slaw, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, and turnips.
You may think that exercise is off limits until after you give birth, but the truth is that exercising can help you raise your metabolism so that you gain less weight during the pregnancy. Exercise can also help strengthen your muscles and help you prepare for child birthing. Ask your doctor if you are healthy enough to begin an exercise regimen.
Hypothyroidism treatment diet and exercise do’s and do-not
When you suffer from hypothyroidism you often gin unwanted pounds. In order to get your body back in the shape it needs to be in you are going to have to exercise to raise your metabolism. You are also going to have to follow a diet that promotes weight loss and increases the vital nourishment your thyroid gland needs.
- Do see your doctor and make certain you are healthy enough to begin an exercise program.
- Do not start skipping meals to cut down on calories.
- Do start making healthier food choices by eating meats that are grilled and baked rather than fried.
- Do not eat foods that are over processed or that have loads of empty calories.
- Do eat six small meals a day rather than three large meals so you can keep your energy level and metabolism rate at their highest point.
- Do not eat raw peaches, raw pears, or raw strawberries because these fruits have been linked to the formation of goiters in the neck.
- Do increase your dairy consumption, but choose low fat varieties to keep the calories as few as possible.
- Do not give up when it seems like your body is showing no progress. It can take several weeks for your hypothyroidism treatment diet and exercise program to make a big impact on your symptoms.
- Do drink ample amounts of water each day to keep toxins flushed from your body.
- Do not self-medicate without the consultation of a medical professional.
- Do home thyroid checks by taking your temperature in the morning and in the evening to see if your basal temperature is in the normal range.
For more on Hypothyroidism Diet see this related article
For more on Hypothyroidism Exercise see this related article