The main side effect of hypothyroidism is the gaining of weight when the lifestyle and dietary choices have not really changed. Once people are diagnosed with this condition they often wonder if they will ever lose the extra weight. These feelings are completely normal and understood by the people in the medical community and by any other person that has ever been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
The main thing you need to understand about this condition and the treatment of the condition is that it all takes time. It actually takes a lot of time before you see the results you need to see from your treatment program. Most physicians suggest the synthetic treatments with oral medications be supplemented with all natural solutions so the patient starts to see changes faster.
Top 3 Facts on How to Lose Weight with Thyroid Condition Replacement Hormones
- Taking the synthetic replacement hormone is going to eventually result in your shedding some of the extra pounds. As your thyroid hormone levels improve your metabolism will increase and this will cause your body to burn more calories.
- Eating a diet that is low in carbohydrates will be beneficial to anyone that has weight issues due to hypothyroidism. All refined and over-processed foods have high levels of carbohydrates. Avoid white breads, high sugar and high fructose foods, and try to keep the sodium levels in a normal range.
- Increased activity will increase the amount of calories you burn. The increased activity increases your metabolism rate and continues to help you burn extra calories even after you have stopped exercising and are resting.
Top 3 Facts on How to Lose Weight with Thyroid Condition after Menopause
Menopause means a natural slowing of our metabolism and when you pair hypothyroidism with the side effects of menopause you get even more difficulties when it comes to weight loss, hair loss, and depression.
- You will have to increase your metabolism before you will start to lose any weight. Your metabolism will begin to increase when your thyroid hormones begin to reach normal levels. Your metabolism also increases for a period of time after you have done physical exercise.
- You will need to closely monitor what you eat and when you eat it. Make sure that you eat foods that are high in carbohydrates before three o’clock in the afternoon. Reduce your intake of high fat foods and lower the amount of salt you eat.
- Make certain that you eat plenty of foods that are rich in iron and high in iodine. Salt that is iodized and seafood are great sources of iodine and selenium in your diet.
Top 3 Facts on How to Lose Weight with Thyroid Condition when you are Pregnant
Pregnant women generally like to try and control everything they ingest to avoid taking in something that will potentially be harmful to their infant.
- Losing weight while pregnant can be difficult and should be done through the careful observance of the foods you eat rather than by restricting the diet too much. Try to eat meats that are lean and have less fat. Bake and broil the meats you prepare instead of frying them.
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables instead of sugary snacks. You do need to be careful with pears, peaches, and strawberries because when you eat these foods raw you can cause yourself to be prone to goiters. Raw vegetables have more fiber and the more fiber you take in the more regular your body will be at disposing of waste.
Exercise is important when you are trying to lose weight. Exercise raises your metabolism and it helps you to have good muscle tone for when you go to deliver your baby. You should consider an exercise class designed for pregnant women.